ln the News
YES Academy Returns for Spring Break 2021
Think Big for Kids is excited to host the YES Academy in partnership with Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay, a three-day career exploration and job readiness development program for teens, March 16-18.
The annual event provides the opportunity for 70 teens from more than 10 area Boys & Girls Clubs to spend part of their spring break learning about potential professions and how to pursue jobs in their chosen fields.
The YES Academy takes place at three club locations and includes a variety of virtual and socially distanced activities to ensure that all students, presenters and others remain safe.
Participants will take part in workshops presented by local companies, all with the goal of preparing for their first jobs and the careers that will follow.
JDP Electric will bring materials to allow students to experience wiring and learn what it is like to be an electrician with an interactive demonstration.
Publix will bring in their bakery department to do a cake decorating lesson and teach kids about careers in the culinary arts.
Roger West & PDQ will partner to have students complete a Tik-Tok marketing ad challenge.
Tampa General will provide an interactive presentation for students on careers in wellness, allowing students to experience the benefits of both cardiovascular activities and meditation.
In addition to the career presentations, students will learn about leadership, resume writing and how to interview for jobs.
It’s all in keeping with the Think Big for Kids mission to help underprivileged kids discover their untapped potential through our three foundational pillars of career exploration, mentorship and job readiness/placement.
Think Big for Kids offers opportunities for involvement throughout the year. These include:
- Conducting a skills-building workshop. Introduce participants to job readiness skills, with an emphasis on teaching teamwork, collaboration, problem-solving and financial literacy.
- Becoming a mentor. Work closely with a high school student to help them understand their career options, select the right courses, stay on track academically and make a post-graduation plan.
- Becoming a career showcase partner company. Provide an overview of your company and industry to students, using hands-on activities and Q&A.
- Hosting a field trip. Invite students to your company for an on-site look into the industry and the job skills needed to pursue a career at your business.
- Volunteering for a Think Big for Kids committee. Work with fellow volunteers to make the mission of Think Big for Kids and Boys & Girls Clubs a success.
You also could give the mission a big boost by making a direct donation or by becoming a corporate sponsor or partner. Email Think Big for Kids directly at email@example.com to learn more about strategic partnerships and other high-level donation opportunities.